Youth Fencers Assistance Program
Presidio Fencing Club has been offering need-based scholarships since 2006 as part of its Youth
Fencers Assistance Program (YFAP). In 2009, the Central Coast Fencing Foundation helped us to
expand our YFAP program by securing a grant from the Santa Barbara Foundation and the Orfalea
Foundation to provide partial funding to four deserving students. Although the SB Foundation Scholarships have since expired, we still try to offer financial assistance to continuing students through club scholarships.
For the 2013-2014 season, Presidio Fencing Club will offer a limited number of scholarships to motivated students. See the list of criteria below and contact us via email. Interested persons should also seek opportunities through the Central Coast Fencing Foundation. If you are interested in receiving financial support for your child's fencing, then please consider
the criteria below and contact the Foundation by visiting their website
. Note that scholarships are limited and competitive.
Applications for fencing scholarships will be considered according to the following criteria:
- Residency – Scholarships are to be used only by youth residing in Santa Barbara County for payment of tuition for fencing instruction at Presidio Fencing Club.
- Financial need – Applicants must demonstrate financial need.
- Achievement in Fencing – Applicants need not be experienced fencers, but they must have been taking lessons for a minimum of three continuous months and demonstrate an interest in the sport. Applicants must set goals for competitive achievement in the sport of fencing and work towards the fulfillment of those goals.
- Good moral and ethical character.
- Academic Standing – Applicants must maintain a GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale during the academic year.